Thursday, July 10, 2008

A few odds and ends

For those who haven't noticed, I finally updated my "WALL-E" review. Once again, another wonderful film from Pixar. It's in the same league as "Ratatouille" and the Toy Story films.

As much as I liked Ratatouille, however, I now realize why some didn't even think it deserved the best animated Oscar. If you look over to the side of the page under the 2007 list, you'll see I have a new No. 3. "Persepolis" is a different kind of animated film, contrasting the magic of "Ratatouille" with something more pointed and personal. The story of a young girl growing up in the repressive atmosphere of Iran is simply powerful.

"Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium" didn't fare as well, however. There's nothing all that bad about it, there's just not that much good. The store looks like it would have been a hoot to shop at, but nothing else about the film captured the imagination. It lacked that fairytale-come-to-life magic.

I also have to say, my experiences with the AFI list movies have been much better since "Gone with the Wind," especially "City Lights" and "Vertigo." Even those that wouldn't make my personal list, like "The Searchers," have impressed me. And heck, almost despite itself "Singing in the Rain" might be my favorite of the pure musicals I've seen simply because it is such a joy to watch.

Here's hoping that "The Dark Knight" lives up to its hype.

No comments: