Friday, February 29, 2008

2008 Movie #1: "Penelope"

When I first saw trailers for "Penelope" running this winter, I had a strange sense of deja vu. Didn't this film come out several years ago? I know I've heard of a film with Christina Ricci wearing a pig's snout. Well, it turns out I wasn't crazy. "Penelope" first was shown at a film festival in 2006. It's just been sitting in a can since then.

I must say, though, for being that musty, it's not awful. It's fractured fairy tale story feels poorly planned at times, and the second half of the film jumps from plot point to plot point so fast that it seemed that the projectionist had some place to be, but it is definitely not a completely unenjoyble sit. Am I damning it with faint praise? Maybe. But the scenes that Ricci, as the title character, shares with a suitor played by James McAvoy have a playful, laid-back charm to them that almost can't help but bring a smile to your face. If only the film could have maintained that charm in the second half. Still, a decent film to start off the year. Here's hoping most of them are better, however.

No comments: